Tuesday, June 15, 2021

Shangri-La Dialogue summit in Singapore cancelled due to Covid-19 pandemic

Must Read

Novavax says efficacy preserved in participants receiving influenza, Covid-19 vaccines | World News

For breaking news and live news updates, Join us on Whatsapp The company said vaccine efficacy was 87.5% compared...

Pakistan’s Sindh, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa to end 2-day Covid-19 lockdown policy | World News

For breaking news and live news updates, Join us on Whatsapp Businesses in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa will now be allowed...

For breaking news and live news updates, Join us on Whatsapp

The Shangri-La Dialogue Asian security summit that was due to be held in Singapore next month has been canceled, the organisers said on Thursday, citing the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic, including on the host country.

Also Read | Singapore counters World Economic Forum, says Shangri-La Dialogue ‘still on’

This year’s event, which is arranged by the International Institute for Strategic Studies (IISS), had been scheduled to take place from June 4–5.

The event has typically attracted top level military officials, diplomats and weapons makers from around the globe since its launch in 2002.

The global COVID-19 situation has recently deteriorated, with the rise of infectious new virus variants, IISS said.

“In Singapore there has been a rise in local cases, the introduction of new restrictions, and the prospect of further tightening cannot be ruled out, all of which creates uncertainty,” it said.

“Taken together these various factors mean that holding an in-person Shangri-La Dialogue this year has become unviable.”

Singapore has in recent days imposed some of the tightest restrictions since it exited a lockdown last year to combat a spike in local infections.

The IISS move comes three days after the World Economic Forum canceled its annual meeting due to be held in Singapore this year.

IISS will plan the return of the full in-person Shangri-La Dialogue (SLD) in the middle of next year. The 2020 edition was also canceled due to the pandemic.

Singapore’s defence ministry said it supported the decision to cancel, calling it regretful but the responsible course.

“The cancellation of the SLD in no way reflects any reduced commitment to dialogue and engagement to ensure peace and stability in Asia and beyond,” the ministry said, adding it will “find alternative and safer avenues for these important goals”.

For breaking news and live news updates, like us on Facebook or Whatsapp or follow us on Twitter and Linkedin. Read more on Latest India News on Smart Newsline



Latest News

Filmmaker Ashutosh Gowariker on 20 years of lagaan, said – Aamir Khan had refused saying that I should not do this film, you can...

For breaking news and live news updates, Join us on Whatsapp EntertainmentBollywoodFilmmaker Ashutosh Gowariker On 20 Years Of Lagaan, Said – Aamir Khan Had...

Dia Mirza: Deep-rooted prejudices make us forget that we are human first | Bollywood

For breaking news and live news updates, Join us on Whatsapp With OTT platforms coming to the fore stronger than before in the last...

EXCLUSIVE: Lagaan is probably my most unprepared performance, says Aamir Khan | Bollywood

For breaking news and live news updates, Join us on Whatsapp Aur Bhuvan ka naam itihaas ke panno mein kahi kho gaya... This concluding...

Shekhar Suman believes Sushant Singh Rajput was ‘murdered’, seeks closure on death case | Bollywood

For breaking news and live news updates, Join us on Whatsapp Shekhar Suman expressed his dissatisfaction with the progress in the Sushant Singh Rajput...

More Articles Like This