Saturday, June 19, 2021

Nasa slams China over irresponsible standards regarding space debris

Must Read

Kim Jong Un ‘solemnly swears’ to salvage North Korea’s economy | World News

For breaking news and live news updates, Join us on Whatsapp Kim Jong Un "solemnly swore" to pull North...

Declaration of Juneteenth holiday sparks scramble in states | World News

For breaking news and live news updates, Join us on Whatsapp Congress and President Joe Biden acted with unusual...

With the challenges faced during the pandemic, these mothers found a new way; Changed home, city and job to fulfill dreams | महामारी के...

For breaking news and live news updates, Join us on Whatsapp InternationalWith The Challenges Faced During The Pandemic, These...

For breaking news and live news updates, Join us on Whatsapp

Hours after China confirmed on Sunday that debris from its largest rocket Long March 5B had disintegrated over the Indian Ocean and landed near Maldives, American space agency Nasa slammed the Chinese administration for failing to meet ‘responsible standards’ regarding space debris. “It is clear that China is failing to meet responsible standards regarding their space debris,” Nasa administrator Bill Nelson, a former senator and astronaut who was picked for the role in March, said in a statement after the re-entry.

Remnants of China’s largest rocket, the Long March, which was launched last week, re-entered the Earth’s atmosphere on Sunday morning and disintegrated over the Indian Ocean, the country’s state-sponsored media network, the China Central Television (CCTV), reported, citing the China Manned Space Engineering Office.

Also Read: China’s rocket debris disintegrates over Indian Ocean, lands near Maldives

According to the coordinates provided by Chinese officials of the rocket’s point of impact, the debris now lies west of the Maldives archipelago. The US Space Command had confirmed the re-entry of the rocket over the Arabian Peninsula but said the current location of the debris was unknown.

Earlier, the news had sparked fears over where the large 18-tonne segment of the Chinese rocket was going to come down, leading to a renewed panic over possible damage and casualties amid the prevailing coronavirus disease (Covid-19) pandemic. Uncertainty over the rocket’s orbital decay and China’s failure to issue stronger reassurances in the run-up to the re-entry fuelled anxiety.

“Spacefaring nations must minimize the risks to people and property on Earth of re-entries of space objects and maximize transparency regarding those operations,” the Nasa administrator said, adding that all spacefaring nations must act responsibly to ensure the long-term sustainability of such outer-space activities.

Notably, the Long March was the second deployment of the 5B variant since its maiden flight in May 2020. Last year, pieces from the first Long March 5B fell on Ivory Coast, damaging several buildings. No injuries were reported.

“Spacefaring nations must minimize the risks to people and property on Earth of re-entries of space objects and maximize transparency regarding those operations. It is critical that China and all spacefaring nations and commercial entities act responsibly and transparently in space to ensure the safety, stability, security, and long-term sustainability of outer space activities,” the statement issued by Nasa read.

China’s state-sponsored media, including the tabloid ‘The Global Times’, had however dismissed concerns about the rocket debris being potentially dangerous and “out of control” as “Western hype”.

Organisations have become more careful about their spacecraft design ever since the Nasa space station ‘Skylab’ fell from orbit in July 1979 and landed in Australia, leading to most countries seeking to avoid such uncontrolled re-entries ever again.

(With inputs from Reuters)

For breaking news and live news updates, like us on Facebook or Whatsapp or follow us on Twitter and Linkedin. Read more on Latest India News on Smart Newsline



Latest News

The announcement of the release date is the biggest promotion of Bell Bottom, expect big business from this spy movie of Akshay | रिलीज...

For breaking news and live news updates, Join us on Whatsapp स्पाई स्टोरी और अक्षय की स्टार वैल्यू पर भरोसा, फिल्म शुक्रवार की जगह...

Neena Gupta on why she did not marry someone while pregnant with Masaba: ‘I was still attached to Vivian’ | Bollywood

For breaking news and live news updates, Join us on Whatsapp Neena Gupta opened up about her decision to not enter into a marriage...

Salman Khan Ajay Devgn | Ajay Devgn Digital Debut and Salman Khan Remake Films and More Latest Udpate | वेब सीरीज ‘रूद्र’ के लिए...

For breaking news and live news updates, Join us on Whatsapp जुलाई में अजय देवगन अपने डिजिटल डेब्यू शो 'रूद्र : द एज ऑफ...

Neena Gupta regrets not asking her father about his second marriage: ‘Now there’s nobody to tell me’ | Bollywood

For breaking news and live news updates, Join us on Whatsapp Neena Gupta has said that she was surprised by how little she knew...

More Articles Like This