Thursday, March 4, 2021

President Biden to end US support for Saudi-led offensive in Yemen

Must Read

French President Macron sould still squeeze in a pension reform: Le Maire

According to Le Maire, a pension reform to address the financial imbalances in the country’s system is still possible...

Pakistan PM Imran Khan to address nation to seek vote of confidence | सीनेट चुनाव में हार के बाद पाकिस्तानी PM बोले- असेंबली में...

Ads से है परेशान? बिना Ads खबरों के लिए इनस्टॉल करें Smart Newsline ऐपइमरान ने अपने संबोधन में नवाज...

Huawei CFO lawyer says Donald Trump comments a ‘salvo’ in trade war

Comments made by former US President Donald Trump turned a senior executive for Chinese communications giant Huawei Technologies, into...

The move would fulfill a campaign pledge by Biden, whose administration plans to pursue diplomacy to end the overall conflict in Yemen.

AP

PUBLISHED ON FEB 04, 2021 10:55 PM IST

President Joe Biden will announce an end Thursday to U.S. support for a grinding five-year Saudi-led military offensive in Yemen that has deepened humanitarian suffering in the Arabian peninsula’s poorest country, national security adviser Jake Sullivan said.

The move would fulfill a campaign pledge by Biden, whose administration plans to pursue diplomacy to end the overall conflict in Yemen.

Biden also is announcing the choice of Timothy Lenderking as special envoy to Yemen as soon as Thursday afternoon, when the president is due to speak at the State Department. A person familiar with the matter confirmed the selection, speaking on condition of anonymity ahead of the announcement. The Gulf-based newspaper The National first reported the pick.

Lenderking has been a deputy assistant secretary of state in the agency’s Middle East section. A career foreign service member, he has served in Saudi Arabia, Kuwait and other countries inside and out of the Middle East.

Saudi Arabia began the offensive in 2015 to counter a Yemeni Houthi faction that had seized territory in Yemen and was launching cross-border missiles at Saudi Arabia.

A Saudi-led air campaign since then has killed numerous civilians, and survivors display fragments showing the bombs to be American-made. The conflict has deepened hunger and poverty in Yemen, and international rights experts say both the Gulf countries and Houthis have committed severe rights abuses.

Close

Follow @ Facebook

Follow @ Twitter

Follow @ Telegram

Updates on Whatsapp – Coming Soon

Latest News

Saina director Amol Gupte defends ‘high concept poster’ against criticism: ‘Not stopping to think before rubbishing’

Amol Gupte defended the poster of Saina, which was criticised over what appeared to be a factual inaccuracy. The...

Suniel Shetty filed a police complaint against a production company for circulating a fake film poster featuring him | सुनील शेट्टी ने पुलिस शिकायत...

Ads से है परेशान? बिना Ads खबरों के लिए इनस्टॉल करें Smart Newsline ऐपबॉलीवुड अभिनेता सुनील शेट्टी ने मुंबई में एक प्रोडक्शन कंपनी के...

Roohi director Hardik Mehta on Janhvi Kapoor’s ‘palat’ scene: ‘In our universe, the chudail is filmy’

With gags, gasps and a shout-out to Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge (DDLJ), Roohi aims to further generate curiosity about horror-comedies, a genre that allows...

Javed Akhtar files a caveat after Kangana Ranaut’s plea in Supreme Court for transfer of 3 cases to Shimla | कंगना रनोट ने लगाई...

Ads से है परेशान? बिना Ads खबरों के लिए इनस्टॉल करें Smart Newsline ऐपकंगना रनोट ने जिन तीन केसों को शिमला ट्रांसफर करने की...

Aparshakti Khurana: I hope OTTs don’t become corrupt and redundant

Actor Aparshakti Khurana hopes that OTT platforms won’ ‘fade out’, as an audience adds we don’t want ‘too much of it’. By Juhi Chakraborty UPDATED ON...

More Articles Like This